If you have a great idea for a new club or society, then you can apply for it to be affiliated to UCLU. Affiliation to the Union provides a lot of great benefits, including:
- Funding(limited and not guaranteed) and accounting/banking services
- Publicity and promotion services
- Access to rooms and facilities
- Support, development and advice from staff and officers
- Networking and collaboration with like minded societies
Because we have limited resources and a strict criteria some applications are not successful. We have a list of criteria which your application would have to meet if your proposed club or society was to be considered for affiliation to the Union. This is contained within the notes below.
How do I request affiliation to UCLU?
- If you want to start a club or society, make sure there isn’t one already existing that does the same activities, or is based on the same idea – there’s no point in duplicating.
- Download an application form and notes from this page.
- Get a group of UCL friends, or like minded fellow students together, to sit down and discuss what the basic activities and functions of your club are going to be. Will you be going on trips, are you discussing something, are you training etc?
- You need to choose a committee; this comprises a President and Treasurer as a necessity, and you may want to think about a Social Secretary, a Captain, a Producer, Editor or Liaison. It all depends on what your club/society will be doing.
- Next you need to attract a minimum of 30 people to become potential members. At this stage, they don’t need to pay anything, but you will need to collect their names and contact information on the provided sheet in the application pack.
- Then you need to look carefully at the questions on the application pack, and fill in the answers as best you can.
- Remember, if you have any questions please visit the CSC reception, or contact email@example.com
There will be two opportunities to affiliate to UCLU in 15/16 academic year. In term 1 the deadline for forms to reach the CSC is 2 October 2015. In term 2 the deadline for forms to reach the CSC is 8 March 2016.
An affiliation meeting will be held shortly after the deadline, which you may be invited to if your application meets our criteria (above and on the form). If you are required to attend the meeting, we will require a very short verbal presentation from you about your proposed club/society and will then make a decision on whether to affiliate you or not. The decision of the executive is final and cannot be appealed, although you can apply again for the next affiliation deadline if you wish to.