RECRUITMENT IS NOW OPEN! Please apply by the 14th June to be a part of the Welcome Team for 2013.
Do something amazing this year – be part of our big welcome to new students at UCL!
We are looking for a team of friendly and enthusiastic Welcome Volunteers who are keen to make a difference and help ease new students into their new surroundings.
Do you remember what it was like when you first arrived? Maybe you were worried about finding new friends in Halls, not knowing where the library was or which areas of London are safe? Well, come and help make the new arrivals feel right at home and make some great new friends while you are at it.
We are also looking for Team Leaders who will have additional responsibility for co-ordinating Welcome Volunteers and being a primary point of contact with staff at UCLU.
What will I need to do?
Welcome Volunteers will be based around the main campus, at Halls of Residence, at evening events and at the Welcome Fair from the week before term starts to meet and greet new students, answer their queries and promote UCLU events and opportunities. We will provide training so that you are able to signpost students confidently, give tours of UCLU and help with some of the events that will be taking place.
You don’t need to have any previous experience to be a Welcome Volunteer but we do need you to be:
- Approachable, friendly and willing to use your initiative
- A great team player with excellent communication skills
- Available to sign up to at least three shifts and to attend a training session (please note training will take place on the 13th or 16th September 2013 and shifts will commence on Wednesday the 18th September with times to be confirmed but there will be a morning and an afternoon shift each day, plus an evening shift when there is an event on. Welcome Fair shifts, on the 26th and 27th September, will be longer and there will be further information at the training)
Team Leaders will ideally have been Welcome Volunteers in previous years or have similar volunteering experience.
Full role descriptions are available here:
What will I gain?
We hope you will gain lots of new skills and lots of new friends, we will also provide:
- Training and support
- Travel expenses
- Welcome Volunteer t-shirt and badge
- Further opportunities to be involved in UCLU and volunteering events
What do I do next?
Please submit your applications by Friday 14 June 2013. We will be in contact over the summer so please ensure you include details of how we can contact you. There will be interviews for the Team Leader positions and we will contact you to find a convenient time.
If you have any queries, please send an email.