The Disabled Students’ Section is a collective which aims to represent the views of students’ at UCL who self-define as disabled, including but not limited to students with physical disabilities, long term illnesses, specific learning difficulties and mental health issues.
The Section is chaired by an elected part time volunteer known as the Disabled Students’ Officer.
We hold meetings, events and run campaigns.
The Section is not a service provision for disabled students, that is provided by UCL Student Disability Services.
The Disabled Students’ Officer is an elected representative who attends UCLU council meetings and voices the concerns of disabled students to UCL and UCLU. They are supported by union staff and full time officers that help to organise events and campaigns. The section is tasked with making sure that UCL and UCLU are working hard to ensure that all students have access to its activities and services.
Currently the position is unfilled and will be available to run for in September/October you can find out more on our election pages.
There are regular section meetings that take place once a month during term time which offer you a forum to talk about your experiences. The dates and themes for each forum can but found in the What’s On section below.
We are always looking for passionate and interested people to get involved in running the section and its campaigns; so if you are interested please do get in touch.
Find out here event and activities are happening here:
Term 1 (Sept/Oct/Nov)
- Breakfast meet and greet: Print Room Cafe, 9 - 11am, 25 September
- Forum meeting: Focus on… Speech, language and learning disabilities, Room 404 25 Gordon Street, 12.30 - 2pm, 1 October
- Cocktail/Mocktail night: Print Room Cafe, 7.30 - 10.30pm, 7 October
- World Mental Health Day: Main Quad, 11am Onwards, 10 October
- Forum meeting: Focus on… Mental Health (time and location TBC) 12 November
- Disabled History Month Event: Film night (time and location TBC) 27 November
- Forum meeting: Focus on… Physical disabilities (time and location TBC) 3 December
- Christmas meal: (time and location TBC) 11 December
We are a partner of the Stammering Through University Campaign (STUC). During 2014/15 we will be working with them closely to improve the experiences of students who stutter and stammer at UCL.